3.23.2009

Freer Gallery and other Smithsonian art awesomeness...


So I finally saw this piece by Juan Munoz yesterday for the first time, in person. I had seen these sculptures in textbooks in high school, and never thought I would get to see them in person. Anyways, I found this (among with so much other awesome sculpture) in the Sculpture Garden at the National Mall...along with Louis Bourgeois, Giacometti, and so many other tasty morsels. Utterly fabulous is all I can say. Joey wasn't too impressed, but I was completely floored. I finally got to see one of Bourgeois' larger than life spiders!


We stopped into the Freer Gallery and some of the buildings connected to it, where I managed to see some great Mesopotamian, Islamic, and Hindu Art and Sculpture. Beautiful.


Also got to see some great paintings by Dewing. They love this guy here. We just got done looking through the ENTIRE National Portrait Gallery...and bajezus... there was a LOT there...but I saw so much amazing stuff (especially in the contemporary section at the top floor). And also forgot to stupidly bring my external and camera cords to transfer my images. So that will have to come another time. But back to Dewing...I have never really seen his work up close like this before...he captures atmosphere so well, and a great loose human-like transparency to his figures that just rings of the concept of fleeting time. To me at least. They're almost ghostly, but alluring.

No comments:

Post a Comment